Thursday, November 10, 2005

Not a tear but a cheer

So farewell then, Tony Blair? Am I alone in thinking that perhaps the Tonester's defeat is part of a wider plan?

Remember this is the man who translated Machiavelli into Inscrutablese. He knows he's on the way out and cares about his legacy. I wonder if this defeat actually benefits Tony in some way, allowing him to portray himself as a strong man betrayed by a weak party.

Actually I probably am alone in that view and Blair will be shut in a room with the political equivalent of a bottle of whisky, a pistol and earnest encouragement to "do the decent thing".

When he goes he will be celebrated by many. But for me he will be always the Labour leader who had a glorious opportunity - and overwhelming mandate - to transform Britain into a left-of-centre modern nation but became bogged down in timidity, mediocrity and the pages of the Daily Mail.

A pity. But, credit where credit is due, I'll always bless him for Devolution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of pure curiosity: Who would "the overwhelming magnate" be? :)

Calgacus Wasabi said...

Swine spell-checker...

"The overwhelming magnate" is now "overwhelming mandate". I could have brazened it out and said it was a reference to Murdoch...

Anonymous said...

Would have been perfectly fine by me